The School/Orchestra Artistic Residency (SOAR) program allows students the opportunity to create in-depth interactions between themselves and the professional musicians of the VSO through mentorship and coaching. Students are also able to attend VSO concerts, usually at no charge.
Other programs available under the SOAR program are Small Ensemble Specialty Programs. These programs utilize two to five VSO musicians in settings which allow children and adults alike to explore the various aspects of music through the musicians’ performances and question and answer sessions. These programs are 45 minutes to one hour in length. These programs include:
These programs utilize two to five VSO musicians in settings which allow children and adults alike to explore the various aspects of music through the musicians’ performances and question and answer sessions. These programs are 45 minutes to one hour in length. These programs include:
- Meet the Families - This program showcases four VSO musicians who tell about their family of instruments and play short engaging pieces. Appropriate for grades 1st through 4th.
- Come Blow Your Horn - Great for Pre-K through 2nd graders, this dynamic french horn duo will captivate their young audience!
- Big Bad Musical Wolf - Using special musical arrangements specifically created for this program, the flautist, bassoonist, trombonist, and double bassist take students through the stories of the Three Little Pigs, Prokofiev’s “Peter and the Wolf” and a musical story from the Wolf’s point of view entitled “B.B. Wolf” by Jon Deak.
- From Bach to Beatbox - Take a ride through musical history and explore music by Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Copland, even The Beatles and more!
- Aesop’s Fables - Along with violin and cello, these fables come alive through live narration.
- Traveling Instrumental Petting Zoo - Children experience a hands-on introduction to instruments. This zoo comes to you with instruments from each of the four orchestra families.
- Professional Development Program (PDP) - The focus of this program is to reach music educators who want more information about instrumental pedagogy. In a relaxed setting, VSO musicians share their expertise and insight on teaching young instrumentalists.
Some of the schools that have participated in the SOAR program are Norfolk Collegiate, Green Run High School, Norview High School, Oscar Smith High School, Great Bridge Middle School, The Park Place School and Douglass Park Elementary School.